Wednesday, December 9, 2015

December in the garden...


Even bundled up in my warmest  , I couldn't face going out much this month…too  frosty,  too cold ,  too grey , too wet . But today dry and mild with a few faint patches of blue. I went out for a wander and a little tidy up. Mostly I leave it till February or March . But then my compost heap gets over whelmed , so I'm trying too spread the clearing up a bit.. I've just been taking away the really ugly  and the stuff covering the plants that hate the wet mush.                                The lovely grasses are usually the last to go ,  just as well it's become quite a job.

This  little trio still looks fresh : Hebe 'goldesk', Pennisetum spatheolatum and  Carex oshimenis.

The worms seem to have already been at work, much that collapsed  has already disappeared. 


Rhododendron evered spent all summer smothered by all my annual vines …yes that Grandpa Ott  again  . Now is your time in the spotlight.


It will be interesting to tackle all this in February, where to start . 



My scrawny NOID conifer , bought several years ago at the Cistus 'Tough-love -sale. Has grown very handsome . I wonder how big it will get ? As big as the Deodora behind ?



My favorite winter ingredient and this one a very nice looking one , Willow leaf bay.

8 comments:

  1. I tried to get to some garden clean-up done but still have a bunch to do later too, Linda, I sympathize. I love the evergreens, they don't seem to have much growth that needs removing. I'm wondering about the red-stemmed shrub or tree in your third to last photo, whether it is a Manzanita or perhaps a small Madrona tree. I just planted 4 Manzanitas this year so I look forward to watching them grow and hopefully bloom this winter or spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, It's a Manzanita, I have two , this is 'Austin Griffths, or it could be' St Helens'. I planted them both at about the same time .

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking good this December Linda! I'm jealous you got out to do some clean up. I was so happy to see the blue sky bits, and no rain! Unfortunately I had appointments right in the middle of the day that pretty much ruined my ability to get anything done around here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great, Linda! The NOID conifer is quite handsome, indeed. It all looks inviting, even in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I of these days I'l find out what it is. I should take a snip over to Cistus.
      I 've been meaning to comment on your wonderful new playground !

      Delete
  4. If that's what neglect looks like, I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricki, I'm really pleased myself , especially when I hear my neighbors with all those blowers going!

      Delete