Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The contenders...

 I've been trying to compile a group of plants for my front lawn , which will be lawn-less very soon...I think . I like the burgundy, orange, pink and yellow combination I've had going this summer. But , that could change, I what to use the things I've already got planted out front. Just add  more of the same.  Small groupings of three and fives with gravel in-between. mostly low lazy loose planting.
 This could be one of the grasses. Scott, at Rhone Street Gardens pointed out this little Prairie Dropseed to me at the resent Fall plant fest.
And here is another one from the Fest,.Agastache 'Blue boa'  with another grass I am probably going to use Panicum Cheyenne Sky  

Maybe a few airy Gaura's 

Salvia greggi I've enjoyed all summer , if you survive this winter ... you're in .

Leptospermum rupestre 'Squiggly' ...a maybe 

This tiny Sedum ... a yes

 Aster lateriflorus 'prince' will be moving from the back garden to the new front area . I love these tiny blooms and purple leaves
This will be the yellow ...and pink


Plenty of Ergeron 'profusion' 

another contender ...Pennisetum orientale ...soft , fluffy , pinky 
These Crimson Nicotiana will be welcome to self seed at will. Now I need orange, I could use  Calendula or more Agastaches . Crocosmias , of course.... ummm plenty to think about 


5 comments:

  1. Do you need more Pennisetum orientale? I have lots of one called Karley Rose that I've wanted to dig out, but I'm not sure where to put it. It droops all over my stream, and I don't like that. I don't know if I have time to dig it up before this weekend's swap, but definitely by next spring, if you want it. Salvia greggii got knocked back by our last winter, even though it was a pretty mild one. Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' does much better here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, Yes, yes yes on the Pennisetum...I can wait . I have two ' hot lips', huge things . I want to move them out, wrong color !

      Delete
  2. Mmmm...orange! I have seed for Buddha's Hand cosmos, a very bright, light orange. I'll bring it Sunday. Lots of pretty orange Kniphofias, and how about Geums? 'Totally Tangerine' is one that produces no seed, so blooms for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricki, I love orange cosmos. Geums don't seem to like my garden, I've killed one, the other didn't bloom this year , are they trying to tell me something ?

      Delete
  3. I love all your choices...can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete