Saturday, October 18, 2014

October in the garden...

October has seen a flurry of activity.  In the back garden I've been digging ,  dividing and moving  just about everything; Asters , Helenium , Rudbeckia...


Rosie inspecting a hole I've made digging up Asters.

The rusty fence will be moved forward , so the side shade garden will open out to the back.   The old Lllac  which was between the shed and the Rhodydendron has been removed .  It's the bare patch on the right. This will be a small shady seating area . I'm waiting till we move the fence before I start rearranging the planting. The flimsy wire gate will go soon. Philip cut off the top section all along the fence. He's pieced together a GATE ! which is being welded together …I hope !

Moving along from the shed and Rhody along the neighbors fence. I  thought... may as well get rid of the Forsythia ! Then the, other Lllic went ,  And now I have a huge new planting area. I need to dig up all the plants that are crammed together and replant , umm …wasn't planning on this project , but now that I've started ….

While I was at it I  dug up all the Peonies that I never cared for, They've found a new home in my Neighbors  garden.  

As well as the side garden, I've been working on the front. All the grass is gone, gone, gone,…. The huge Maple is gone ,gone gone… I've planted  lovely Katsura , which seems to change color every day.
I've made a start at planting ; All the panicum  " Cheyenne sky' from the back as been moved here. Three Stipa Gigantium will follow in the spring .  Erigium,  Knophofia 'percy's pride' , Eucomis " sparkling burgundy'  and a few few other things that I've found that were  purple, maroon or burgundy. 

It's looking a bit lumpy and bumpy still and needs …a lot more plants .

15 comments:

  1. Will we even recognize your garden when we see it next? And you will be so buff from all that digging and hauling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricki, I've made good use of your 'Percy's pride' , turned one big clump into half a dozen !
      Philip does most of the big digs !

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing it fill in and what you will plant! Great time of year for projects, you have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I sat around doing nothing all summer, so I'm trying to make up for it while the weather is still mild !

      Delete
  3. Katsuras are so beautiful--probably my favorite tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many changes in your garden since we saw it for the very first exchange that Peter and I came to. It's going to look like a completely different garden. I keep wondering if I have a spot for a Katsura. There are so many worthy trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I wasn't planning to make so many changes , but you know how things go once started . I love , love, love my Katsura ! I also have a tiny weeping one in the back :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of work and a lot of new space to plant. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love Katsura trees...and wish I could have one...sigh. I can't wait to see your newly-planted area next season...it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've been busy. Isn't it funny how one project leads to so many more? I can't wait to see how it turns out. I also love the Katsura.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, The work has come to a stand still now …the rain is back !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer's end is a tempting time to do a lot of changes, I can see you were really inspired, great ideas.

    ReplyDelete